Primary Sources: Nurses
Researching Civil War nurses? Check out these great primary sources that tell the story of the nurses who saved lives during America’s bloodiest war.
Museum members support our educational efforts.
- Hospital Sketches by Louisa May Alcott
- A Southern Woman’s Story by Phoebe Yates Pember
- Reminiscences of the hospitals of Columbia, SC during the four years of the Civil War by Mrs. Bryce Campbell
- A journal of hospital life in the Confederate army of Tennessee by Kate Cumming
- Reminiscences of My Life in Camp with the 33rd US Colored Troops by Susie King Taylor
- Adventures of an army nurse in two wars by Mary Phinney, Baroness von Olnhausen
- Walt Whitman’s Drum Taps
- Letter Walt Whitman wrote for a wounded soldier
- Walt Whitman Papers