Primary Sources: Letterman, Evacuation and Ambulances
- Medical Recollections of the Army of the Potomac – Jonathan Letterman’s memoir
- New York Daily Herald editorial on the need for an Ambulance Corps (1862)
- General Orders Number 147, Organizing and Ambulance Corps
- Letterman’s Report Detailing the Medical Department of the Army of the Potomac in the Maryland Campiagn and at the Battle of Fredericksburg (March 1863)
- Letterman’s Report, After Gettysburg (October 1863)
- Hospital Transports, A Memoir—Compiled by the Sanitary Commission
- Have we the best possible ambulance system? (1864)
Want to learn more about Major Jonathan Letterman?
Click here to read more about Letterman and his work during the Civil War.
The National Museum of Civil War Medicine also honors innovation in modern military medicine – the Major Jonathan Letterman Medical Excellence Award.