Primary Sources: Letterman, Evacuation and Ambulances
- Medical Recollections of the Army of the Potomac – Jonathan Letterman’s memoir
- New York Daily Herald editorial on the need for an Ambulance Corps (1862)
- General Orders Number 147, Organizing and Ambulance Corps
- Letterman’s Report Detailing the Medical Department of the Army of the Potomac in the Maryland Campiagn and at the Battle of Fredericksburg (March 1863)
- Letterman’s Report, After Gettysburg (October 1863)
- Hospital Transports, A Memoir—Compiled by the Sanitary Commission
- Have we the best possible ambulance system? (1864)
Want to learn more about Major Jonathan Letterman?
The National Museum of Civil War Medicine also honors innovation in modern military medicine – the Major Jonathan Letterman Medical Excellence Award.