Philip Pry Sr. left his 126 acres of land to his sons Samuel and Philip Jr. In his will, Pry Sr. stipulated his sons were to inherit once they both had turned 21.
On April 30, 1839, Philip Jr., the younger son, turned 21 and the brothers inherited their father’s land. The Pry brothers also purchased an additional 18 acres of land from a neighbor.
Now that they had land, all they needed was a home.
The brothers finished building the “Pry House” on July 11, 1844. On the left side of the entrance, Philip carved his name and the date into one of the bricks. Though he didn’t know it at the time, his new home would play a key role in the bloodiest day in American history.
Learn More About Life in the House [Link to Main Page “Meet the Prys”]
Learn More About the House During the War [Link to Main Page “From House to Hospital”]