Pry House Field Hospital Museum
Come and visit the Pry House Field Hospital Museum. This museum is located in the historic Pry House on the Antietam Battlefield, which served both as Union Commander General George B. McClellan’s headquarters and as Medical Director Dr. Jonathan Letterman’s headquarters during the battle. Exhibits include a re-creation of an operating theater, interpretive panels, objects relating to the care of the wounded, the history of the Pry House and family, and information on the revolutionary system of evacuation of wounded created by Dr. Letterman during the battle, which is still in use today. This is why the Pry House is considered the birthplace of military and emergency medicine.
The grounds around the house also offer many sights. The Pry Barn, which was used as a field hospital, will be open to the public with displays on field hospitals. There is also an overlook at which you can view the battlefield in almost the same spot at General McClellan and his staff did in 1862. And right outside the house is a 19th century style medicinal and kitchen garden. Every plant serves a practical, rather than aesthetic, purpose. This includes medicinal plants, herbs, and vegetables for the kitchen table, just like the Pry family would have had in the 1860′s.
Be sure to visit our garden blog:
A Garden of Antietam
The Pry House garden is a 19th century-style medicinal and kitchen garden. Every plant serves a practical, rather than an aesthetic, purpose. This blog documents learning the ins and outs of 19th century gardening.
- Cardinal Blooms
- Marshmallows and Beetles
- Sesqucentennial: Medicinal Plants on Monocacy National Battlefield for the 150th Anniversary
- Blooming Black-Eyed Susans
- A Deadly Predator
This is a short video about Jonathan Letterman and the Pry House Field Hospital Museum with Kyle Wichtendahl – Programming Coordinator for the NMCWM.
Join us on Facebook!