Pry House Field Hospital Museum
Come visit the Pry House Field Hospital Museum. In partnership with the National Park Service, the National Museum of Civil War Medicine opened the Pry House Field Hospital Museum (PHFHM) in 2005. The PHFHM is located in the historic Pry House on the Antietam Battlefield, which served as headquarters for General George B. McClellan, Union Commander of the Army of the Potomac, and Dr. Jonathan Letterman, Medical Director. Exhibits include a re-creation of an operating theater, interpretive panels, objects relating to the care of the wounded, the history of the Pry House and family, and information on the revolutionary system of evacuation of wounded created during the battle by Dr. Letterman, that is still in use today. The Pry House is considered the birthplace of military and emergency medicine.
The grounds around the house offer many sights. The Pry Barn, which was used as a field hospital, is open to the public with displays on field hospitals. An overlook of the battlefield allows the visitor to stand at roughly the same spot that General McClellan and his staff did in 1862. The visitor can stroll through a 19th century style medicinal and kitchen garden, where very plant serves a practical, rather than aesthetic, purpose. Included are medicinal plants, herbs, and vegetables for the kitchen table, just like the Pry family would have had in the 1860s.
Be sure to visit our garden blog at http://gardenofantietam.blogspot.com/
Join us on Facebook!